Selleys Special Putty
Selleys Special Putty is a premium linseed oil-based putty that can be applied by hand or with a putty knife. It can be used for glazing timber frame windows and door panels. Suitable for face glazing (front of glass), heel seal (behind glass) and bedding glazing beads (wooden strip retaining glass). Can be applied on both glass and timber.
How to use:
- Rebate and grooves should be dry, clean, stiff, distortion-free, and true and square. The glass should be placed in the frame with a minimum of 1.6mm gap between it and the frame.
- Rebate and groove sizes should be large enough to provide for proper edge coverage and putty volume. Rebates of 10mm for 3-4mm glass and 15mm for 5-8mm glass are recommended. Rebate width should allow for 12mm of front putty, which is recommended.
- Before using the putty, remove any surface skin. With your fingertips, soften the putty. Apply to the back of the rebate.
- Install glass, squeezing out putty to approximately 2mm between glass and frame. Fix glass with pins and apply putty to face upfront. If using wooden glazing beads, apply additional putty in the rebate. Install bead squeezing out putty to approximately 2mm thickness between glass and bead.
- Putty can be applied by hand or with a knife. A few drops of linseed oil on the hands or a putty knife will make for easier working.
- To eliminate water seepage owing to probable shrinkage over time, Special Putty should be sprayed within 2-4 weeks of completion of glazing, at least 1-2mm above the putty. This will help to prevent problems such as rot in the wood. Check for symptoms of shrinking every 6-12 months and paint or replace the putty if necessary.
*Available in 450g and 2kg tubs
Browse through the rest of our range of Selleys products.